Thursday 24 March 2011

Too soon?

Today my co-teacher Wendy asked the question everyone in my position anticipates (albiet much further down the line) - would I be renewing my contract at the end of the year? Please note that this is only my second week of officially teaching! Also bear in mind my predecessors both (there were originally two Native English teachers working in the school at the same time) stayed at Naeto for two years before disappearing into the unknown (although one of them still haunts my desktop). I was completely thrown by the question as we were only idly chatting and it came out of nowhere. Yet thinking back now I can understand why she asked and also why she would want me to stay. The previous Native English teachers were both male and older than her (Wendy is in her late 20s and they were in their mid-to-late 30s). Based on Korea's Confucian culture they were automatically in the hierarchy above her. Respect is extremely important in their culture, and this is reflected in their language and etiquette. So it's from my understanding she had some difficulty in working with them. It also didn't help that she only started working at Naeto about 6 months before they left. Therefore they probably had developed a particular teaching style they found hard to adapt. Whilst they were different in their own way they both seemingly favoured playing games in the classroom and did not attempt to 'discipline' the students.

Don't get me wrong - I believe there is much value in games (if it is related to the learning objective) but am aware of the danger it poses when you overuse it. I am also against corporal punishment ('tehnically' it's illegal in South Korea). However, the principals of discipline is part and parcel of being a teacher. Believe me when I say I've learnt the hard way when it comes to avoiding discipline.

Back to the point - our working relationship is completely different and (I hope) a welcome change. Putting myself in her shoes, it must be nice to finally work with someone younger and female with whom you can relate to. As I've pointed out before, your Korean co-teacher can make or break your experience in Korea. From my point of view she is the perfect co-teacher. Yes, she translates but she's not a 'translator' - she'll only translate when necessary or appropriate. Whilst I plan and take the lead in the lessons she isn't afraid to give advice if she thinks an activity is too difficult or would work more effectively in a different way. Nor am I afraid to ask.

Teaching has its ups and downs. You'd be disillusioned to expect anything else. Yet I can't help but love it (less so when I haven't had enough sleep). Inevitably I get attached, very easily - even when they're being monsters! It is what I've chosen as a career path so for me this is long-term; for many it is just an experience. A year may seem like a long time at first but it always surprises me how fast it flies by! I am beginning to understand why many in the same position end up staying longer than anticipated. It takes so much time to fully adjust and settle in a new place that it almost seems a waste to leave when you finally do so. I did consider the possibility of staying longer than a year before coming here but haven't yet factored it into my plans. Staying longer overseas means starting my teaching career in England later. Never mind that, how would my family react!? Of course plans change all the time. However, it is still too soon to answer the question. So until then, I'm keeping schtum.

1 comment:

  1. I was one of the teachers you replaced. Is there anyway to get in touch? I'd like to know how my students are doing now, and I haven't been able to make contact.

    Yes, Wendy is very nice.

    ReplyDelete