Monday 14 March 2011

Japan crisis 'worst since WWII'

On Friday 14th March at 14:46 local time Japan was struck by one of its worst ever earthquakes. It measured 8.9 on the richter scale. News coverage has been extremely widespread and there were imminent warnings of tsunamis hitting much of the North-east coast. I just wanted to reassure people that due to the location of the earthquake in Japan we were not affected here in Korea.

However, it was only speaking to people from the UK that I realised just how easily we could have been affected and what I would have done in that situation. The thought does not bear imagining. My heart goes out to everyone involved and affected by this tragic event and I can only hope people are able to find or recover their loved ones. It is frightening how close the events of the devastation that occured in Australia and New Zealand is to this with regards to the timescale. It was refreshing how strong the message of environmental conservation is in South Korea but it makes me wonder how much impact this is actually having and how much more could be done on a global scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment