Sunday 20 March 2011

One month in...

Thursday 17th March. Officially the EPIK Spring 2011 intakes' one month anniversary! What can I say...

Well first week of teaching went well! Bit rustly on the first day as students were getting used to the timetable - very frustrating when you're trying to start a lesson and everyone ends up coming in one by one! However, by the second day my co-teacher, Wendy, and I had it down to a tee. We found the best way was to do a very quick introduction and then launch straight into the 'Classroom Rules'. Tedious, yes. Nevertheless, as I've found with every teaching experience I've had in the past, the students need to know from the offset what is expected from the lesson and from the students themselves. Giving the students English names has also helped and been quite fun! I did try and make sure it somehow resembled their Korean names (phonectically) but for some reason many of them have ended up with quite 'British' sounding names!


Two things stood out in particular during my presentation about myself. Firstly, there were really varied answers given when I asked the students where they thought I was from; I had everything (apart from the obvious) from France to Thailand! Secondly, when displaying the picture of 'My Family', if I didn't specifically point out it was my family, the students responses varied from relatives to friends. Granted, my mum appears younger than her actual age but not that young! These both reinforced what I had read or been told previously. South Korea is a very homogenous society that follows a Confucianism philosophy. This means there isn't a large immigrant population so many assume I'm Korean and they still very much hold the ideology of the nuclear family. I've come to the realisation that whilst I sometimes envy the other waygooks that aren't of 'East Asian' descent (e.g. excusing themselves using the 'foreigner stamp'), I know from previous experience that I value my anonymity above all else.

Unfortunately, one month in has also coincided  with getting ill for the first time in South Korea. Now, I know apparently everyone gets ill at the beginning - namely coming down with the classic cold/flu sore throat thing, and I totally thought I was going down the same road. Instead, after a relatively casual night out, I was violently sick on Friday morning. I had 1 (weak) cocktail and 3 (light) beers and I can honestly say I was practically sober. The last time I was this sick was on New Years Eve. Undertandably though, I was extrememly wasted and due to the suggestion of my clever sister, Yick, ate a spicy pot noodle (Shin Cup - Korean in fact!) before going to bed. My body protested within a few hours and consequently I spent the majority of New Year's day in the bathroom. A memorable way to start the year for sure. Therefore, I cannot really explain why I ended up being sick this time. Wendy knew something was up when instead of devouring my lunch, as I usually did, I only picked at it. Whilst I haven't been physically sick since, I keep feeling nauseous and have severely lost my appetite. Before you jump to conclusions, NO, I have not been knocked up! I had to somehow explain this in my first attempt at obtaining some Korean drugs at the local pharmacy. My venture resulted in two sets of drugs, one which has no English whatsoever, the other (after Googling) is to treat poor appetite and stomach problems. I'm down to my last dose but am not entirely sure they're working....

Another lunch I couldn't enjoy! The Korean mums at the Center where I've started to volunteer treated me to lunch after our first Taekwondo session. I really hope I got the message across that I normally love Korean food (most foods really) but still, I couldn't help but feel impolite.


A bunch of us waygooks met up on Saturday night and went bowling in a very retro looking bowling alley. I played my usual game of gutter balls and random strikes/knocking most of the pins. Whoever said 'practice makes perfect' needs to meet me! I think I prefer playing against my students as at least that way I can pretend I'm 'letting them win to boost their self-esteem'! Bonus: Met some more lovely waygooks! After, we popped over to Western Village where crazily enough I randomly met another waygook, Michael, who could speak Cantonese! This is the second time I've come across an English person who could speak my mother tongue. Stangely enough Michael even resembled the other guy I knew. Small world?

You can't see but the screens won't even let you enter names/initials. It just lists a letter 3 times. I was 'KKK'.
Torture. More delicious food I couldn't eat. Rice, Kimchi and an Egg. It comes with the lid on and gloves - shake it to mix up! Praying my appetite comes back soon.

We ended the night going to a 'Norebang' (Karaoke). Think this was my 3rd or 4th experience of going to one and it always ends up with everyone having a horse voice and at least one rendition of Oasis' Wonderwall. I'm most definitely ensuring I'm suitably intoxicated the next time I end up in one. Being the only sober one can be an interesting experience but not one I'd like to repeat too often!


Our very first payday is scheduled for the 25th - cannot wait to restore the funds and go exploring!

No comments:

Post a Comment